Here are 10 reasons crafting is good for your mental health:
1. Crafting focuses our minds on a productive activity.
2. Crafting allows our stressful energy to be released through our hands in creative ways.
3. Crafting provides an outlet for creative problem solving, which creates the flexibility that is an essential element of stress reduction
4. Crafting, like any focused activity, creates a mild trance state which is highly conducive to relaxation and letting go of stress.
5. Crafting gives us time in our busy lives in which we can reconnect with ourselves.
6. Crafting is fun; and fun things reduce stress.
7. Crafting creates a time in which we are free from worries (about time, money, relationships, and the many other things we tend to worry about).
8. Crafting keeps us productive and when we’re productive we stress less.
9. Crafting is a great get-a-way without having to go anywhere.
10. Crafting is something we can do for ourselves (a self-care activity), and doing for ourselves (self-care activities) reduces stress.
So, the next time the stress becomes overwhelming, consider skipping the beer and chocolate, and reaching for the knitting instead!